On April 23, 2009, 18 months after former Vice President Al Gore broke ground at the historic Naval Architecture Building on the north side of campus, former Secretary of State George P. Shultz opened Richard C. Blum Hall—a 22,000-square-foot contemporary and Craftsman-style wood, concrete and glass complex that serves as the Blum Center’s headquarters. Previously, the Center’s operations and project teams were scattered across campus. Today, they are consolidated in a collaborative workspace designed for student and faculty innovators and their partners from across the world.
“This building is for the students who remind us every day that Cal can be a driving force for positive change in the world.”
—Richard C. Blum
|B100, Plaza Level will accommodate up to 80 people with lecture-style seating. Maximum capacity is 90 (receptions). This room features modular seating options, projector and amplified sound.|
|B110, Plaza Level will accommodate up to 66 people for receptions and features a small, comfortable seating area. The room also features modular seating options. No A/V is available in this room.|
|Room 330 is located on the third floor of Blum Hall in the east building. This room features modular seating options, projector and amplified sound. The maximum capacity is 79 for reception and it will seat up to 28 people.|
|Room||Max Cap||0-4 Hours per day||Full Day||Weekend Additional|
|B100 Plaza Level||90||$600||$900||$350|
|B110 Plaza Level
No A/V in room
|330 3rd Floor
|Patio||$400||Not Available||Not Available|
Note: The Blum Center does not provide room set up, posters, nametags, registration, website development, catering, or other event services. These are fully the responsibility of the your event planner(s). It is in your interest to visit the room prior to the event to plan logistics, etc.
|Handheld Microphone||$60 (2 max for B100, 1 for 330)|
|Lapel Microphone||$60 (1 max)|
|Podium Microphone||$60 (1 max)|
|Assistive Listening Device||$15|
In no event will the Blum Center be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever in connection with the use of the Blum Center’s equipment. The Blum Center not warrant or make any representations concerning the accuracy, likely results, or reliability of the use of the materials produced. It is the sole responsibility of the lessee to ensure media recordings are in compliance with copyright policies of the University of California where available and is informed by commonly accepted practices of the industry.
Webcasting and/or Digital Recording
Webcasting and/or digital recording assistance may be provided by campus Educational Technology Services (ETS), provided they are available during the time of your event. It is the responsibility of the lessee to make arrangements with ETS.
- UC Groups IOC with account information and authorized signatures
- Non-UC Wire Transfer or Check
- For UCB groups paying by check, a deposit is required as collateral against cleaning fees or property damage. The deposit is 50% of total room rental fees and should be paid with a separate check so that it can be returned.
Due to a high demand in room rentals, cancellation fees will apply to confirmed reservations as follows:
- Cancellations are subject to a fee of $100 if cancelled 48-72 hours before event.
- Notice of a cancellation must be given in writing.
- Reservations must be made no later than two weeks prior to the event date. Requests will not be accepted within two weeks of the event date.
- Reservations will not be accepted more than two months in advance of the event date.
- If your event is on a weekend or outside normal business hours, 8AM-5PM Monday-Friday, you must arrange for a UCPD Security Patrol Officer (SPO) to be present for the after-hours period of the event. Police Services Request Form. Provide a copy of the approved Police Services form to the Facilities Manager no later than one week prior to the event date. Fax to 666-9128 or email to *protected email*.
- All events must end by 10:00 pm.
- Building use is not permitted during normal campus closure periods such as holidays and University breaks, etc. UC Berkeley Academic Calendar.
- Entry doors are controlled by central campus. Building access must be arranged with the Facilities Manager no later than three business days in advance of event.
- No changes can be made once entry access schedule has been confirmed by the Facilites Manager.
- Access to the rented room will not be permitted until the time for which it is contracted.
Lesee/Sponsoring Organization’s Responsibilities
- Users agree to abide by the Rules of Conduct in Campus Buildings.
- All groups are responsible for returning the facility to its normal condition at the conclusion of the event. This includes putting all tables and chairs back in place.
- Event organizers must include in their contracted hours of rental sufficient time for setting up and taking down of events.
- Users are responsible for making sure all trash is deposited in the waste containers, and all equipment & supplies from your event are removed .
- If extraordinary cleaning/repair is deemed necessary, the additional vendor contractual fees will be recharged to the event organizer/sponsor. This includes moving services fees to reset any moved furniture.
- Cleaning fees will be billed accordingly. Any debris abandoned after the event will result in loss of security deposit or charge to chartstring.
- The sponsoring organization is financially responsible for any damage to the building, equipment, and/or furnishings caused by persons attending the event.
- Fire, including candles of any size, are not allowed in Blum Hall.
- No signs, banners, posters or decorations may be nailed, tacked or affixed in any way to the interior walls of Blum Hall. Signs may be posted using painter’s tape only. No scotch tape, masking tape, packing tape, etc. is allowed.
- Banners must be draped on a table or affixed to podium with painter’s tape.
- Damage to the walls and will result in loss of security deposit or charge to chartstring.
- All interior and exterior signs must be removed at the end of the event.
- Arrangements must be made at the time of the reservation request for A/V equipment rentals.
- Arrangements must be made in advance of the event with the Facilities Manager for instruction on using the A/V systems
- Facility Use Permit ‐ Required for non‐campus groups and student groups
- Certificate of Insurance – Required for non‐campus groups and student groups
- Certificate of Insurance – Required for all vendors (caterers, florists, musicians, etc.)
- Alcohol permit – A completed and UCPD approved permit must be on display at all events where alcohol is being served
- Police Services Request – Required for events after 5:00PM or on weekends
- Student Organization Verification Form – Required for Student groups only
- Fire permit – must be obtained for BBQs or other uses of fire, such as chaffing dishes
- A food permit from EH&S is required for events where food will be served if the event is open to the general public and/or you will charge admission
Be sure to review the Campus Alcoholic Beverage Policy.
Links to Permits and Forms
- Student groups must also have a valid/current Student Organization Verification Form from the Center for Student Life. Student groups must first be registered with Campus Life & Leadership.
- Groups that are not registered with Campus Life & Leadership need to obtain insurance for their event through the Office of Risk Management.
- Students and Non-campus groups wishing to reserve facilities must obtain a facilities use permit.
- Non-campus groups wishing to reserve facilities must obtain a facilities use permit.
- Non-UC groups also need to submit a Certificate of insurance.
The sponsoring organization renting the facility is responsible for:
- Any damage to the building, equipment, and/or furnishings caused by persons attending the event.
- Enforcing UC Berkeley alcohol guidelines and smoke-free policy.
- Restoring the facilities to their original state after the event.
- The Blum Center is not responsible for items left on premises by the lessee or guests. All goods and/or equipment must be removed from the premises immediately following the conclusion of the event.
- The Blum reserves the right to refuse future rentals to organizations that do not comply with these policies.
- The Blum Center does not provide room set up, posters, nametags, registration, website development, catering, or other event services. These are fully the responsibility of the event planner(s).
- Exceptions to any of these policies are not valid unless approved in writing by the Blum Center Executive Director.
- All reservations are subject to cancellation by the Blum Center Executive Director.
Reservations are confirmed and guaranteed only upon receipt of all applicable forms and fees. It is not possible to place a “hold” on a room, other than by booking it.
Confirmation of all required arrangements and permits must be emailed to “Facility Manager” at *protected email* no less than seven business days before the event.
No reservation request is confirmed unless written confirmation is received by applicant from the Facilities Manager.
TO INQUIRE ABOUT AVAILABILITY
Please email *protected email*
Emergencies: call UC Police Department at 9-911 or from a cell: (510) 642-3333.